And then what happened?.... 8-11 months post cryoablation (JAN-APR 2021)


What happened next?

So, these episodes of tachycardia seemed to get more frequent and sometimes I had to take 100 mcg flecainide (my PIP) to resolve them.  The idea of betablockers were mentioned at one time but I was against them as they made me feel so tired and sluggish last time.

But had the Astra Zeneca Covid-19 jab on 2nd March.  Just 10 hours later (1.30 am) I went into AFib.  Two doses of PIP.  By morning I asked my husband to drive me to A&E as I was very breathless with the slightest exertion.  I chose not to go to my local hospital and instead to drive the hour to Addenbrookes, the big teaching hospital in Cambridge.  I was wearily resigned to my fate this time.

Addenbrookes were lovely and after reading through my extensive notes which I helpfully took along (as well as all my Electrocardiology letters and previous ECGs!) the A&E doctor was all in favour of an immediate cardioversion since chemical treatment had never worked before, but he needed to speak to the cardiologists.  A lovely cardiologist came to see me and asked what I thought would be best.  When I said an immediate cardioversion, he said that he totally agreed and it was duly arranged.  Some five hours after arrival I was shocked once and back in NSR.  And back on 50 mcg flecainide twice per day….

Luckily just five days later I had a consultation with my EP from Papworth who told me he would put me on the waiting list for a second ablation.

Just a month later, Easter Sunday, I again woke up in the night in AFib.  Again, took two doses of PIP, again it didn’t work and this time I sobbed like a baby.  I sobbed again when I arrived at Addenbrookes and possibly at several other times too embarrassing to mention.  This time I was cardioverted within 2.5 hours of arrival and my flec increased to 100 mcg twice per day, though they did warn me that they couldn’t keep doing DCCVs on me.  I also contacted my EP and told him that I had again had to be cardioverted and his secretary replied to say that he would upgrade me to urgent and that I was to chase it if I hadn't heard anything in two weeks.

This I duly did, only to be told that it was showing as a routine appointment not an urgent!  I contacted the secretary and she said it was definitely showing as urgent and she would chase it further....  however....

Well, would you Adam and Eve it, just 18 days later I woke up again in AFib.  Took PIP again.  Waited until morning again. Got in car with all my kit to take to Addenbrookes again, but this time I felt ill and so my husband was, totally understandably, reluctant to take me on an hour-long car journey and insisted we phoned an ambulance.

Ambulance crew were lovely but could only take me to my local hospital (WSH) with whom I had had three terrible experiences.  A&E was totally unorganised and I was in a flaming temper.  When the A&E doctor told me the cardiologists had said to try intravenous flecainide I told her, in no uncertain terms, that it was a waste of time, that it had never worked before etc although I did apologise for “shooting the messenger” at the end.  In fact, when I told her how I was discharged the previous time in such bad condition she was visibly shocked and said she totally understood how I felt.

In fact, the bit that shocked her the most was when I told her that in 2020 the cardiologists had told me to contact Papworth and ask for my ablation to be upgraded from routine to urgent.  Obviously, this request cannot come from a mere patient but only from a clinician!  She was totally horrified!

Anyway, I waited ages for the IV flec and eventually had to chase it myself!  The nurse also told me, sottovoce, that the reason they didn’t take me very seriously was that I was not making enough fuss – I needed to make them realise that I was breathless and unwell otherwise they would once again discharge me all dosed up!  So, I made sure they knew that I was struggling each time they asked me how I felt after that advice!  I also emailed the EP’s secretary and told her I was back in hospital and she said that the EP himself would chase up the urgent appointment which was due any time, in an ideal world.

I was admitted to the Acute Assessment Unit, in a foul mood, after the IV flec to await a bed somewhere else.  I fully expected to be dosed up and discharged in AFib just like I was on those previous AFib episodes.  The ward was chaos - opposite me was a poor old lady who just cried out for the nurse all the time even though when the nurse arrived all she wanted was a bit of attention.  I was not at all in the mood for such shenanigans and was glaring at her.  Next to her, another elderly lady was trying to get out of bed when obviously uncapable of doing so and I had to ring for the nurses.  You will not be surprised to know that my temper did not improve!

I tried to doze and then suddenly became aware that my heart seemed calm! Tentatively I put my hand on my chest and it was in NSR.  Realising that it appeared to be DIY nursing at the hospital this time, I rang for a nurse and told her (YES! TOLD her – not a bit like me to be so bossy!) that I had reverted to NSR and now needed an ECG!  And sure enough I had!  But then I had to wait for the cardiologist who took hours to come and see me.

But did I care?  No! Because, not only was I now in proper rhythm but just a few minutes after I noticed my that the IV flec had done its job, I had a call on my mobile from Royal Papworth hospital asking if I would like to go in for an ablation on the Monday – just five days away!!!!  Would I!  I cried yes so loudly that the lady on the phone burst out laughing!

Many hours later, when finally, WSH had issued my discharge letter and meds (long story, you won’t be surprised to know it required some chasing on my part AGAIN) I was on my way home and with only five days to panic about having another ablation.  But that’s the next story!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jan 2023 Unhappy New Year

Something Good to report!

A Layperson's look at Scientific papers about Afib and Exercise